BatSS Covid-19 Response
Updated: 29 June 2020 - 10am MST
Bat Survey Solutions, LLC is committed to doing “sound science” and as such, we are monitoring the World Health Organization (WHO), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and all federal, state, and local public health and medical authorities on a daily basis to remain informed and in compliance with regional travel and safety alerts. We also feel that as wildlife biologists, we are in a unique position to live safely amid and protect ourselves from zoonotic pathogens, i.e., hantavirus, histoplasmosis, rabies, plague, and now: COVID-19.
BatSS COVID-19 Cancellation Policy (effective until otherwise noted)
- If we receive a formal advisory from a government organization that bans holding any BatSS training in 2020 due to a worsening of the COVID-19 outbreak, 100% of the registration fee will be refunded -or- students may elect to apply 100% of the registration fees paid towards a future BatSS training course* within 18-months from the originally scheduled training date(s).
BatSS will honor 2020 registration fees paid in full for any comparable 2021 training.
If a student's home institution orders a work-stoppage, travel-moratorium, or otherwise restricts participation, no refund is issued, but 100% of the registration fee may still be applied towards a future BatSS training course*, as above.
If a student elects to stay home, falls ill, or chooses not to attend for any health- or non-health-related reason, then the standard refund policy applies: All fees paid, less a $250 processing fee, will be refunded.
*application of registration fee is valid for the student or any substitute the student designates
What To Do / What To Expect
Thankfully, due to years of dealing with WNS, all BatSS trainings include special attention to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), and will continue to do so at all 2020 training courses. We have ready access to stock-piled quantities of:
- hand sanitizer (e.g., 60% alcohol Purell)
- medical grade anti-bacterial/anti-fungal/anti-viral wipes
- latex (or equivalent) single use, disposable gloves
- extra decon-able / re-usable masks for staff and students
- containment bags and etc. to provide for safe disposal of soiled or contaminated items
COVID-19 In Perspective
Our sincere hopes are that current precautions will limit the severity of the pandemic in the U.S., allow us to keep students, staff and bats safe, and that our 2020 trainings will proceed with minimal disruption. BatSS will keep participants abreast of our planned compliance with advisories. All students will received detailed updates prior to the start of a course and prospective participants are encouraged to check the BatSS website regularly for the latest updates.